If you lose your passport in the UAE, you are advised to first report the incident to the police station nearest to where the incident happened. You should then apply for a new passport(to your country’s embassy in the UAE) and afterwards proceed to have your residence visa re-stamped on your new passport. In case you are in a different country from your home country or the UAE, you are to check with your country’s embassy in that country on the requirements for reporting a lost passport and the issuance of a new passport.
It is crucial to note that:
- In cases where the lost passport is owned by a minor, the sponsoring parent is mandated to be present to endorse the report.
- In cases where the person who lost the passport is on his employer’s sponsorship, the person is required to submit a letter in Arabic about the loss of the passport. This letter should be on the letterhead of the sponsoring employer and should be submitted to the police department of the emirate where the issuance of the residence visa took place. The sponsor must also provide a photocopy of its license and establishment card.
- In cases where the person who lost the passport is on family scholarship, he is required to submit a letter endorsed by the sponsor and a photocopy of the sponsor’s passport.
What procedures do I take if my passport is lost in Dubai?
The procedure for lost passports in Dubai is linked with the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs and Dubai Courts. Once you receive your police reports, you are required to get it stamped by the relevant UAE court, Public Prosecution and the General Directorate of Residency & Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in the emirate where you received your visa.
Once these approvals have been gotten, you can then take the police report back to the police station you received it from. You will then receive a formal ‘lost passport certificate’ in Arabic. With this ‘ lost passport certificate’, a person can then proceed to apply for a new passport at his embassy in the UAE. To know the right requirements for you, you are required to check with your embassy.
Once your passport has been issued, you can then go back to the General Directorate of Residency & Foreigners Affair (GDRFA) to get your residence visa stamped. You will then receive a residence visa from the GDRFA with the same period of validity as the old visa if it was still valid before it got lost.If it was not, a new visa will be issued provided the old one expired while you were inside the UAE.To know your application fees, you are required to check with the relevant GDRFA.
What are the documents required for the re-issue of a Dubai residence visa?
The following are the required documents for the re-issue of a residence visa:
- A copy of the old passport
- A copy of the new passport
- A completed and endorsed application form
- A copy of the Emirates ID card
- A Passport-size photo
- A lost/stolen report
- A letter from the sponsor confirming your position and pace of work.
What if i lost my passport outside the UAE?
If you lose your passport in the country you are visiting,you are to check with your passport issuing embassy in the country you are in for the requirements for reporting a lost passport and getting a new one.
If you lose your passport in the country that you got your passport from, you are required to follow the steps stated by your country to get a new visa.