Are you looking for accommodation in Dubai as an expat? Things can be difficult if you are not aware of the rules and regulations of tenancy contracts in Dubai. An Ejari tenancy contract serves as a legal agreement between the property owner (landlord) and the tenant, outlining the terms and conditions of the tenancy. It is a mandatory requirement for renting a property in Dubai and is registered with the Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA).
Confused, what is this? Don’t worry, the following blog is going to tell you all you need to know.
What is Ejari System?
It is a program by the government for the regulation of tenancy contracts within Dubai. In Arabic, the literal meaning of Ejari is “My Rent”.
This introduction of this system in Dubai was done under the provision of Law No.26 of 2007. As per the law, all the rental contracts for the properties present in Dubai will have online registration.
The registration will be via the Ejari portal. It is a state-of-the-art system for the protection of landlords and tenants.
This system is an essential part of renting apartments within Dubai. It ensures that drafts of all the tenant’s contracts are legal as per the government-approved format.
Important Perks of the Ejari System
The Ejari system as multiple benefits for the landlord and tenants as below:
- Ensure the smooth and transparent rental transactions in the Emirates.
- Being a renter, you will be able to do a background check of your landlord. You can also check property via historical data of property on a request.
- There will be no fraud or tampering of documents from the side of tenants or landlords.
- The real estate market will be free from illegal housing and inappropriate exploitation.
- Ensure a good relationship between the landlords and tenants.
Registration Process For Ejari System in Dubai
It is the responsibility of both tenants and landlords to register Ejari. Note that, it will be the tenant or real estate agent who will do the process.
There are two methods to register Ejari. One is via approved centers across the city. The second method is via Ejari Portal or Dubai REST app.
1- Registering Ejari Via Center
To do the registration on Ejari-approved center in Dubai, you have to do the following:
Documents Requirements: When applying at the Ejari center, you will have to submit the following documents:
- Tenancy Contract
- Copy of Emirates ID, passport, power of attorney, or commercial license (if asked) of the tenant.
- Letter from a landlord, mentioning meter number. (In case of shared electricity meters).
- Undertaking form of data validity. (In case of registration via real estate services trustees).
Fee For Ejari: The fee for the Ejari in Dubai by Dubai Land Department is as follow:
- Registration fee (excluding VAT): AED 155.
- Knowledge fees: AED 10.
- Innovation fees: AED 10.
Furthermore, the fee for the Ejari registration at Real Estate Services Center is AED 219.75 (including VAT).
2- Registering Ejari Online
For registering Ejari, you can use the two methods. You can sign up for the contract via Ejari online system or use the Dubai REST app.
Via Ejari System: The registration system is for the following:
- Landlords and their representatives.
- Project management companies.
- Real estate brokers.
Depending on the groups in the above list, it is clear that tenants can’t register Ejari using the online system. The tenants can only register via the Dubai REST app.
Registration Via Dubai REST App: The process is as follows:
- Download the Dubai REST App.
- Go To Services section.
- Select RERA.
- Choose Register Ejari Contract.
- Fill all the required fields.
- Upload your documents.
- Click on Submit.
Ejari Online Fees: To register Ejari via the Dubai REST app, the fee is AED 175.
Things To Keep In Mind After Registering Ejari
- 1 to 2 working days are a must for the processing and for the generation of Ejari numbers.
- On the completion of Ejari online registration, you will receive an official Ejari contract.
- It will include all the main terms and conditions, an acknowledgment that the contract registration with Ejari online, and details of your payment.
Important Things That Need Ejari Contract
Whenever you are going to sign a tenancy contract in Dubai, you have to complete the Ejari registration. Additionally, this is mandatory not only by RERA but also for other relevant formalities.
Below are the few things that need an Ejari Contract:
- For Telephone/ Television/ Internet Connection.
- Residence Visa, New Application, and the renewals.
- The setting of electricity and water connection.
- Employment of domestic staff.
- To get a Commercial License.
- Getting an alcohol license.
Ejari Contact Number: In case of any queries or to get any information, you can contact at +971-800-4488.
Ejari Location: There are different centers that will assist you in the registration process. One of the popular centers is at Al Manara Center Ejari on Sheikh Zayed Road. To browse centers near your location, check the complete list of Ejari Registration Centers.
In conclusion, understanding and adhering to the requirements of an Ejari tenancy contract is crucial for both landlords and tenants in the UAE. This government initiative plays a vital role in regulating the rental market, ensuring transparency, and protecting the rights of all parties involved. By familiarizing yourself with the process of registering an Ejari contract and abiding by its terms and conditions, you can enjoy a secure and hassle-free rental experience. Whether you’re a tenant or a landlord, embracing the importance of Ejari tenancy contracts will contribute to a harmonious and mutually beneficial landlord-tenant relationship.