You must have seen e-scooters, electric scooters, or mopeds on the streets of Dubai, and it must have left you in awe as to what is happening around the heart of the UAE.
Well, not to surprise, as the authorities and government bodies in the United Arab Emirates are taking key measures to reduce the country’s carbon footprints with the initiative and widespread use of e-scooters in UAE. However, the focus on carbon footprint reduction is the intention here, but at the same time, laws instigation for e-scooters is also important to set proper regulations regarding the use of mopeds and electric scooters in Dubai.
The areas for riding e-scooters are designated, and riders are not allowed to ride their mopeds or electric scooters in other areas. Moreover, they have been issued a driving license for riding the moped, which is also called a moped. For this, the Emirate’s Roads and Transport Authority introduced the scheme to make the roads safer for commuters and riders. The altogether routes cover 10 districts of the city and have a span of altogether 167 kilometres.
The riders of electric scooters are strictly instructed to ride their moped with a driving license. In order to obtain the license, they must be above 16 years of age and must not cross the ten designated areas for mopeds. Moreover, the business industry of e-scooters and mopeds manufacturing has also seen an incredible increase in recent years. If you are a potential investor or manufacturer of e-scooters planning on opening a company but are curious about the VAT/TAX for setting up your business in mainland Dubai, this write-up is exactly for you.
Everything to Know about the Laws & Regulations regarding E-Scooters & Mopeds in Dubai
Here are some of the laws and regulations associated with using e-scooters and mopeds in Dubai, UAE.
Designated Areas for Mopeds & E-Scooters
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTAs) official website clearly states the use of mopeds and electric scooters in the following areas. With this said, here are the allowed 10 locations for this purpose;
- Dubai Internet City
- Jumeirah Lakes Towers
- Al Rigga Street
- Palm Jumeirah
- City Walk
- Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard
- Al Karama (specific zones with tracks and save zones)
- Al Qusais (specific zones with tracks and save zones)
- Al Mankhol (specific zones with tracks and save zones)
The cycling tracks are also available for a ride of e-scooters and mopeds throughout Dubai. However, it is also important to note that there are certain cycling tracks on Saih Assalam, Al Qudra and Meydan, where e-scooters and mopeds are strictly prohibited. Even the tracks for walking and jogging paths are also not allowed.
E-Scooter Cost or Renting
The prices of electric scooters and mopeds range from AED 1700 to AED 3000. The price tags depend on the model you pick.
On the other hand, if you take the other option, that is, for renting purposes, almost 2000 e-scooters are available. Now the riders can take these e-scooters for rent. In order to unlock the e-scooter, a rider has to pay AED 3 plus an additional AED 0.5 for every minute you use it.
Age Requirement for E-Scooter Riding
Here are the following age requirements for riding an e-scooter in Dubai;
- For riding an e-scooter or moped on the streets of Dubai, the minimum age requirement is 18 years.
- As for riders who are under the age of 12, they must be accompanied by an adult over 18 years of age. In some cases, you may need the services of a legal consultant in Dubai if it involves an injury or property damage to someone as a result of an e-scooter hit.
- Riding a cycle at the age of 16 is allowed in the designated locations for cycling.
Approval from Road and Transport Authority
These strict laws and regulations aim to ensure the riders’ safety at all points and times. The below-mentioned pointers will clearly state all the approval status and procedures you need to have from the Road and Transport Authority (RTA).
- Any individual wanting to ride the e-scooter must have permission from the Road and Transport Authority in Dubai. Even if you want this for training purposes, you will need to acquire legal permission from the RTA.
- Before getting the permit or license to ride a moped in Dubai, you will be required to opt for Road and Transport Authority’s training programs that the UAE’s Cycling Federation approves.
- It is clear that to obtain a driver’s permit for an e-scooter, the rider must attain a license or permit from the RTA. Moreover, things just don’t limit to RTA, in fact, the involvement of Dubai Police, Dubai Sports Council, Dubai Corporate lawyers, and UAE Cycling Federation are some of the important bodies to inform or get approval from in order to ride an e-scooter or a moped in Dubai legally. ‘
Penalties and Fines Regarding the E-Scooter Use in Dubai
Before riding an e-scooter in Dubai, it is essential to keep penalty and fines associated with it in mind;
- If you fail to follow the laws and regulations that are associated with riding an e-scooter in Dubai, you are on the verge of getting a fine of AED 200.
- Riding an e-scooter without a license can lead you to fine with a tough and hefty penalty.
- If you are found with repeated violations within one year of the punishment, your bike will be confiscated or may face a temporary ban. If the rider is under 18 years of age, a fine will be borne by the parents or guardians.
- As for parking the e-scooters, there are designated spots in the allowed locations, and you must park your e-scooter at the mentioned location.
- Your e-scooter and moped must not create any hindrance for pedestrians. If it becomes a source of an obstacle, a fine imposition of AED 200 will be done to the offender.
Important Safety Measures to Keep in Mind
- The speed limit for all the e-scooters in Dubai is 20 KPH.
- The e-scooters must have a headlight, taillight, and functional brakes.
- Riding your bike off a pedestrian track is not allowed.
- E-scooters carrying other passengers are not allowed.
- Riders must wear protective gear in order to save from traffic incidents.
The Final Words
So, here are some of the important factors to know about riding electric scooters or mopeds in Dubai. It is important at all times to follow the rules and guidelines for your and others’ safety.